If you’ve ever played a game of Mafia or Werewolves of Miller’s Hollow, then you’ve pretty much played Town of Salem, the biggest difference being that Town of Salem is an online game, not one you play at parties with friends.
In the off chance that you don’t know anything about the three games mentioned thus far, then allow me to explain. The basic premise of each game is that you will randomly be placed on a team of Civilians/Mafia members/Werewolves/etc., and it’s your job to help your team win.
Simple enough, right? Well in Mafia and Werewolves of Miller’s Hollow, it actually is pretty simple. It’s in Town of Salem where things are a bit more complex. Out of the three mentioned, Town of Salem has more unique roles than the others do. Where Town of Salem lacks in originality, it makes up for in quantity.
Town of Salem has a maximum amount of 15 players for each game and as stated above, each player gets a unique role. These roles are:
- The Investigator, someone who investigates other players to see what their role is.
- The Jailor, someone who puts other players in jail to interrogate them, and possibly execute them.
- The Sheriff, another investigative role that gets a more definite answer than the Investigator.
- The Doctor, a player who heals other players.
- The Escort, a player who can “distract” other players for one night.
- The Medium, a player who can talk to deceased players to gain more information.
- The Lookout, a player who can watch other players to see who visits them.
- A Random Killing Role can either be a Vigilante who takes the law into his own hands, or Veteran you kills anyone that visits him while he’s on alert.
- A Random Town role, can be any townsfolk.
- The Executioner, a person who’s one and only goal is execute their target.
- The Jester, whose main purpose in life is to get lynched.
- The Serial Killer, a lone wolf who tries to take out both the Town members and the Mafia.
- The Mafioso, a player whose sole purpose is to execute the will of the Godfather.
- The Framer, a player who can frame other players to look like they’re a mafia member.
- And last but not least, The Godfather, who is the leader of the Mafia.
So naturally with so many roles, almost every game of Town of Salem is very chaotic, but in a fun way.
The only real problem is that the community can be considered “toxic” and will resort to name calling/reporting very quickly. Other than that, Town of Salem is definitely worth checking out especially since it’s free.